Another repeat -- the new window seat!

Many of you saw this coming I'm sure...partly because I said it was coming 😆 and partly because many of you just know me and what I love in a home. 

Give me a chance to customize a house and add storage? I'm in. I've been in love with window seats for pretty much my entire life. I made a window seat a reality in our last house


Window seat in bay window with lights

That was one of my very favorite spaces in the whole house! 

I knew when we started the process of moving that I'd want to add another one. :) I found a great spot in our morning room
Breakfast room open to great room

I planned for it to go along the wall of windows -- this one was going to be big! I had the light fixture location moved over about 18 inches (during our build) to accommodate it. 

Like last time, we had outlets to consider. We also had a vent to work around this time too. I hired out for the build because I wanted to make sure those were done correctly. It wasn't very impressive at first: 
Basic long window seat

But I know how it looks in my head and it's going to get there! After they were done it was time for me to get my hands on it. 

I reused the baseboards and quarter round that were under the windows and attached them to the front of the window seat. The edges of the seat were rough: 
Finishing off a raw edge on wood

I covered those up with some simple trim: 
Easy way to finish edges of wood

And then started trimming out the front. Luckily I had enough extra luan strips from previous projects to complete the whole thing: 
Trimming out window seat with molding

You can see this inexpensive stuff up close and how I used it our foyer here
Long board and batten look in white

One of the best parts of window seats is the storage. For cats!: 
Open areas in window seat for storage

I'm not sure what I'll put in there -- I think maybe things like outdoor candles and pillows in one side (there are two storage spots) and we'll see about the other one: 
Building a long window seat with storage

Options are always a good thing! I also caulked around the edges and then filled all the holes -- now it just needs paint.

This time I plan to make a cushion myself. I never added one to the old seat because of it's odd shape. I was going to have to have it made and just never had it done. I really want to try making this...wish me luck!
Long window seat with storage

If you have any tips please send them my way! Any videos or tutorials I should follow to get it right? I know the basics but any help will be appreciated. Now I just have to decide if I'll do one long cushion or two. I'm leaning toward one but we'll see. I don't trust that I could make two perfectly identical cushions on my first try. ;) 

I'll be adding safety hinges to the doors so they'll stay open at any angle. Its just safer that way and if I do one cushion it will be easier to lift them up. I'll be sure to share the process with you! 

For now, I just want to get this painted -- that and some pillows will have it looking awesome:
Building a seat under windows

Can't wait to see it finished up! 

We're already enjoying it (especially the cats). I know this will be such a lovely spot when it's done: 
Adding a long bench under windows

Are you surprised it took me this long? :) I shared this on my Instagram stories the other day and someone asked why we didn't have the builder do this before we moved in. Two reasons -- I figured this would be a good spot, but I wanted to live with the room for awhile before deciding for sure. Also, I would have paid WAY more to have the builder do this for us. 

Yes, you can roll that into your mortgage, but we didn't want to finance more when I can do it. There are tons of things I could have had them do, but I enjoy the process of doing it myself (reason number three). :) 

If you moved is there anything you'd want to recreate in a new house? I still have a few more things I'll be bringing back. I'll be back soon with the final reveal of this spot! 

Comments